There has been a heavy discussion in our class about artichokes lately. I thought that since we discuss risotto a lot as well that this would be an interesting meal to create. I’ve never had lamb, but I’d be more than willing to try some.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 cups chicken broth – heated and divided
- 3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 2 cups diced leftover roast lamb
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (6.5 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained and chopped
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onions OR shallots and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the rice and stir well to coat, about 1 minute.
- Next, pour in the wine and allow it to get absorbed by the rice, about 2 to 3 minutes. Then, stir in the broth 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until the rice absorbs each 1/2 cup before adding the next 1/2 cup. Repeat this until you have used all but 1/4 cup of broth, reserving this for later.
- After about 20 minutes, the rice should be tender but firm. Turn off the heat. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of broth, the cheese, leftover lamb, garlic and artichoke hearts. Stir well to combine with the rice and serve on warm dinner plates.